Pages

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Adventures in Crafting: Minecraft Zombie



Yes... I added more to the Mineraft Collection of Crafts.


I made my 8 year old Minecraft fanatic his very own Zombie costume. So here are the steps to making one, to the best of my recollection.

SUPPLIES:

1) ASSORTMENT OF ACRYLIC PAINTS
I used Craftsmart's Foliage Green, Lush Green, Spanish Olive, Olive Green and Shamrock.
2) ONE LOOOONG RECTANGULAR BOX, or 2 arm length rectangular boxex.
3) ONE RECTANGULAR BOX for body. Or a square one with the flaps left open.
4) TAPE
Masking(or painters) and Duct 
5) SPRAY PAINT
I used Krylon's Satin Italian Olive. It was on clearance for like $2. I would probably not have chosen satin. But at $2 I'll live.
NOT PICTURED ITEMS
6) 2-WOODEN SKEWER STICKS
7) SCISSORS
8) TEAL SHIRT
9) BLUE SWEAT PANTS
10) RULER/MEASURE TAPE
11) BOX CUTTER
12) SQUARE BOX FOR HEAD
13) PAINT BRUSHES
14) OLD PAIR OF STOCKINGS
15) ADHESIVE
Used to attach stocking to carboard box. I used rubber cement but I have used hot glue too.




ZOMBIE HEAD

First thing I did was work on the zombie head. It's really all about the face. You can use any image online as a guide. I first spayed painted the whole box. I used about 3 coats ( If you use a brown box you shouldn't 2 coats should do. Then I measured my box and drew a grid of 8x8 squares.
Then stencil your box with the masking tape to get clean lines when you paint the pixel squares. I only used the tape for the front of the face, for the sides back and top I free handed it. It was MUCH faster without the taping. The taping was super time consuming!



Don't forget to cut out the eye wholes. Instead of leaving the eye wholes open like most people do I decided to cut up some stocking and that way you can see through it and have it look more authentic. I used rubber cement to attach the pantyhose pieces to the inside of the box. Warning, you fingers will get messy. I used some tape scraps to push down on the pantyhose.

ZOMBIE ARMS

My mother in law bought Calla Lily's at a wholesale flower warehouse and they came in these long boxes. They were perfect for arms so you may want to visit a florist and ask them if they have any long boxes they are going to through out. Using the box cutter I split the box in 2. Then I had a clueless moment. How was I to cover the hole on the top! I was racking my brain when I realized...HELLO! Just flip the top and now both ends are closed.

I used rubber cement to adhere the box together. To keep the arms from slipping off I stuck a skewer through the box where my son's hand will be so he can have "handle bars." While I was racking my brain about how to keep the skewer from falling out, my husband told me to wrap the inside with duct tape to make it thicker. Then we simply used scissors to cut off the protruding part of the skewer. 



I skewered the box AFTER I painted it but I recommend you do that before. Just like the head I spray painted the box but only up to the where the sleeves would cover it. Then taped up the box to add the the painted details.

ZOMBIE CHEST

For the zombie chest I used a square box and just opened up the bottom flaps and cut out the arm holes and head hole. As you can tell from the bottom photo, I was previously working on the clone trooper body to go with his clone trooper head. That project is on the back burner for now. 


Last but not least put the shirt over the body, put on your arms put on the pants  put on your head and you're a zombie!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...