Pages

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind!


How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

I relate this Alexander Pope excerpt from Eloisa to Abelard to my best friend “Karen”.  The obvious reason being, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind is one of her favorite movies. Who doesn’t love Jim Carey in a serious yet still funny role? The second reason, a more earnest reason, is my analysis of this quote. It reminds me of Karen’s demeanor. Here is my analysis:

How happy is the blameless vesta’s lot!
To me that line means the writer is amazed at the happiness of an innocent & pure individual’s fortune.
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Even though the rest of the world has forgotten the pure minded, they in turn have also forgotten the rest of the world.
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind!
Their happiness is never fading and radiant. The spotless mind is referring to the same innocent & pure individual’s thoughts. Their thoughts are clear of evil.
Each pray’r accepting, and each wish resign’d.
This last line deals with a relation with God. What is more pure than one that is dedicated to God? The individual is pure because they relinquish earthly desires and are capable of accepting God.

Spirituality and religion is a topic that Karen and I ALWAYS touch up on when we are together. Even as 18 year old wild girls we would have a long conversation about it after a long night of partying. One of the most memorable conversations was on a beach, under the glistening of the moon light. It was quite magical. At that point of my life I was referring to myself as an atheist because I didn’t believe in God. Later on in my life I realized that I hated being referred to as an atheist. “You have to believe in something” everyone would say. I have never been able to explain to people that I am not an atheist. I just don’t believe in God the way the majority of people believe in God. In laments terms, I don’t believe in God as an actual individual up in heaven really listening to people’s concerns and guiding them when asked. I do believe in human connection. I believe there is an invisible force that links every living thing to each other. You don't have to believe in God to believe in good. But that’s a topic on itself. Back to Karen.

She is a genuinely a pure person. She never wishes ill thoughts upon anyone & never causes harm on anyone. In fact she sees the good in everyone. Even in a selfish unfit mother. She gives people the benefit of the doubt. She does believe there are evil people in the world. But she just thinks they haven’t been put in a situation powerful enough to see the light.

She also sees the positive side of every situation.  She put herself in a bad situation once and her fortune hasn’t been the greatest. No one should have to pay for their mistakes forever. People who do bad things are not bad. They just make bad choices. She truly is a good human being. She deserves to be happy.
When I get to hang out with her it is always bittersweet. We always have a good time together. Not to mention it’s a wonderful release from motherhood. But when it ends it breaks my heart. I don’t know when we will have a moment like that again. We suck at planning night outs and our moods rarely coincide with each other. When I am up she’s down, when she’s down I am up. But I know that time will eventually come. Besides isn’t that what friendship is about: Picking up where you left off. Her goodness truly inspires me. I always wish I was as tolerant as she is. Instead of criticizing people and wondering what those people should be doing, she truly accepts their flaws knowing that they just need time.

People think she’s crazy and a little out there. I see her as a beautiful human being, inside and out.

One day UPDATE! I am pleased you introduce you to my friend "Karen." She use to to tell me she thought blogging was silly. Look at her now! She has been inspired. Eternal Sunshine of the Hippie Mind

2 comments:

  1. after reading this i realize Alex is a lot like "karen"... hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have no words.... Thank you!!! Love ”Karen”

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...